Quick steps to understand the Tenda router setup
- First, and foremost to do the Tenda router setup, 3 type of cable is required:
Ethernet cable which connects cable/DSL modem to the WAN port on your Tenda router. Another Ethernet cable that connects from your computer to any one of the three LAN ports on the router. The third is power cable to the wall outlet and to the PWR port on the router. The router will automatically power on. Now to move further to do Tenda router setup, open the web browser, which you usually use like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome, and enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and then press Enter.
- In the second step of Tenda router setup, open any of your browser, which you usually used like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome, and enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and then press Enter.
- In the third step, A dialogue box will pop up. In the screen, password box, type admin and then click OK. Now in connection type, select your available connection type DHCP/PPPoE. In most of the cases, the connection type is DHCP.
- Now decide your desired security key, for wireless connection and fill it in the Security key box. You will need this key, whenever you will connect a new device to your wireless connection.
- In the final step of setup, a window asking for confirmation will open, which will ask you to confirm the security key. Click ok and with it, the basic setup of the Tenda router has been completed!
Tenda router setup with Disk
- You will receive a cable with your Tenda router, to do the Tenda router setup,
Connect one end of the included power adapter to the router andthen plug the other end into a wall outlet nearby. Caution: Using a power supply with a different voltage rating than the one included with the router will cause damage to the product
- Now to do the Tenda router setup, Use the Ethernet cable to connect the LAN port located on the router and NIC port on your PC. On the other hand, Connect the WAN port on the Router to an Internet-enabled ADSL modem using the Ethernet cable.
- Now to do the setup, use the setup wizard disk/CD-ROM into your computer’s drive and run it. In case the disk doesn’t run, click on Setup Exe and follow the instructions displayed over the screen to complete the settings. You can also launch your web browser to do the setup web-based interface.
- Based on your operating system, set up your computer’s TCP/IP settings. In case of Windows XP, right click on “My Network Places” and select “Properties. In the next step, right click on the Local area connection and click on properties. Under local area connection, click on the Internet protocol(TCP/IP) and again select properties under it. after it, select Use the following IP address.
Here under the IP address, enter 192.168.0.xxx (xxx can be any value from 2~254) and under the subnet mask, enter 255.255.255.0. Then under the default gateway enter 192.168.0.1. In last option Preferred DNS server, enter 192.168.0.1. If you do not know the Local DNS server address, please call your internet service provider. Now click on the OK , to save the settings.
If it is a Windows 7 operating system, right click on Network icon on your computer and then select the Open network and sharing center. Click on change adapter settings and after it, right click on Local area connection and select the properties.
Under local area connection, click on the Internet protocol(TCP/IP) and again select properties under it. after it, select Use the following IP address.Here under the IP address, enter 192.168.0.xxx (xxx can be any value from 2~254) and under the subnet mask, enter 255.255.255.0. Then under the default gateway enter 192.168.0.1. In last option Preferred DNS server, enter 192.168.0.1. If you do not know the Local DNS server address, please call your internet service provider. Now click on the OK, to save the settings.
5. Now, after following the above-mentioned steps, time to log in to the router. Open a web browser of your choice and enter the URL http:// 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of the web address. Press enter to go the Tenda internet access window.
6. There you will find the two types of internet connection options: ADSL Dial-up and(PPPoE) DHCP( Dynamic IP). Select the ADSL Dial-up if using the PPPoE connection, enter the PPPoE username and password provided by your internet service provider. Now to secure your wireless network by deciding the Network security key. Click under the wireless encryption and fill the password into the wireless password, here default password is 12345678.
7. Click on the Dynamic IP, if you have not any Ip or account information given by your internet service provider. Usually, you would not need to set up any setting for DYnamic Ip type connection. Still, in order to secure them, we recommend you to set up a wireless security key on this interface to protect your wireless network from undesired access. Then click the OK button to save your settings.
8. Now moving forward tot he Advanced settings, under the advanced settings of Tenda, here are 5 Internet connection types available for your selection: PPPoE, Static IP，Dynamic IP，PPTP and L2TP. Select your Internet connection type f your Internet service provider is using a PPPoE connection and provide you with PPPoE username and password information.
Select Dynamic IP(DHCP) if your internet service provider does not give you any IP information or account information. You don’t need to configure any settings for this
Troubleshooting Tenda router setup/FAQ
- The router is visible but with limited access: First, unplug the power cable into the DSL modem and your Tenda router device. Then wait for Tenda router, to reboot for 30-40 seconds. Now plug all cables. Verify if the lights come back of Tenda router. As soon as the Tenda router device until n unless a modem light lightens up. Now get to connect with an Internet as instantly.
- Internet connectivity issue: connect the device to Tenda router by a wired connection. Connect the Ethernet cable to connect your computer with one of the yellow LAN ports of the Tenda device. Verify that light near the ethernet cable is lit. Now login to the web-based setup page of Tenda. Enter the login username and password if prompted, generally, admin both for username and password. If you changed the login IP address or password, you should log in with the new IP address and password. Click on the advanced settings>System Status/Status/Device Info>System Status>Network Status/WAN Status/WAN>Connection Status/Status and click on connect.
- Fixing of unstable or slow wireless network: Position the Tenda router in the ideal position in the house as the location of the route also affects the working of the router. Disconnect the few devices as the more devices will causing to slow down the internet connection. Change the wireless connection. Now to stabilize the internet connection, change the wireless security mode and encryption. Also, power cycle the Tenda router and computer to get rid of overload. Also, disable the power saving feature in your computer by clicking on the computer icon>properties>Device Manager>Network adapters. Right Click on the wireless network>properties>uncheck the Allow the computer turn off this device to save power and press ok.
- Find and change of wireless Network name(SSID) and password: Connect the device with Tenda with wired cable. Connect the ethernet cable to the LAN port of Tenda. When the Light lit up of Port near to ethernet cable in Tenda, proceed to login to the Web browser window and here enter the username as password. Now click on advanced settings, Select the wireless settings/WLAN settings/Wireless from the main menu. Then go into the Wireless Basic Settings/Basic Settings/Basic from the submenu, you will then be directed to a next page. Here look for Key/PassPhrase/Security Key, you can find the wireless password there. You can change it to another one with letters, numbers or mixed if you want. Click on OK/Apply/Save.
- Setup the universal repeater for the Access point: First login to the access point homepage of the address bar of the web browser: 192.168.0.254, after logging into the access point page, click on advanced settings. Now click the wireless basic settings, set up the wireless security settings and then click apply. Then go into the wireless security and set up the universal repeater function as extender mode. then click on the open scan to watch the signal of the main router and connect to the main router’s signal. Back to the top page, make sure the security mode, encryption type, and security Key all the same with the Uplink router. Remember to click Apply to save the settings. Go to your PC/ wireless clients, choose to obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically. Then you will see the clients connected to the AP can obtain IP address from the uplink router and access to the Internet.
Here are some other relevant links, you might find interesting: