Netgear Router Setup
Configuring or Netgear Router Setup will help the user to use the existing internet connection with or
without cable or Digital subscriber line (DSL; originally digital subscriber loop) is a family of technologies
that are used to transmit digital data over telephone lines). Most internet service provider doesn’t require you
to configure your Netgear router unless you’re using the router with a cable or DSL Internet connection.
Ways of setup or configuring the Netgear router
1. If the user does the setup of the Netgear router with genie Netgear interface which is available with
newer models; this method will help:
– first of all the user need to unplug the modem and power cords; then one ethernet cable from the
modem to the internet port of the router and another ethernet cable from the user’s computer to any Lan
port of the router.
– Now reconnect the power to the modem and wait till the lights become stable; after this reconnect the
power of route and wait till the lights become the solid green.
– Open the web browser and while setup the Netgear type the Netgear IP address which would be either
http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter.
– The user will be asked to log in and default login id is ‘admin’ and password is ‘password’ which is case
sensitive.If the default login credentials do not work, you might have changed the admin password. If you
cannot remember your new password, you must perform a factory reset to restore the router to its factory
– There you click on ‘advanced’ and then ‘setup wizard’; click ‘yes’ and select ‘next’. In the final step when
setup has finished configuring the internet connection the ‘congratulations’ page displays. Click on ‘take
me to the internet’ to test the successful setup of the Netgear router.
2. Setup Netgear router Cable Internet With Smart Wizard Interface (Older Netgear Models)
This will help the user who configures or set up the Netgear router with cable internet and smart wizard
– in the first step connect the internet port of the Netgear router to the computer with any of LAN ports. Switch off and
on the computer, router, and broadband/cable modem and wait to boot up.
– Now Open a web browser and type the router’s IP address which would be either http://192.168.0.1 or
http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter. you will be asked to login the Netgear; here the
default username is ‘admin’ and password is ‘password'(case sensitive). If the password has been
changed you need to enter that; in case the user forgets the password or username, factory reset is
– Click Setup Wizard.The Setup Wizard screen displays. it will detect the type of dynamic IP, after clicking
the ‘Next’, the Netgear will save the settings.
3. Configuring the Netgear with DSL Internet With Genie Interface (Newer Netgear Models)
– to configure/setup your Netgear router for internet connection with NETGEAR genie Connect the DSL
port of the NETGEAR DSL modem router to the phone line, via the DSL Microfilter.Use an Ethernet
cable to connect the computer to any of the LAN ports.Connect the NETGEAR DSL modem router to its
power supply unit and let it boot up.
– Now open the internet browser whichever you use and automatically Netgear genie setup screen will
pop up..If this does not happen automatically please type http://192.168.0.1 or http://www.routerlogin.net.
in the browser screen type bar.
– Click ‘yes’and select’ next’,select ‘country’ and click ‘next’. After the setup wizard will detect the type of
internet connection, DSL connections which require a login to connect to the internet will be detected as
PPPoE/PPPoA. After this, you need to fill out the username and password details provided by your internet
service provider and click ‘next’.
– The router will now apply these settings. When completed, you can verify whether you are connected to
the internet by clicking Take me to the Internet.
4. Doing the Netgear setup/configuring DSL Internet With Smart Wizard Interface (Older Netgear Models)
– to set up the Netgear router for cable internet connection connect the Netgear router to the telephone
jack with DSL microfilter. Now connect the telephone to the DSL microfilter with small telephone wire.
you can use an ethernet cable to connect your *computer any LAN port on Netgear router.
-Switch on the Netgear router and connect it with the power supply which will take approximately one minute
to fully booth up.
– To check launch any web browser which you use and type any of following into address bar
http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1. These URLs will take you to the router login screen.Type the
default login credentials of Netgear router which are “admin” into the username field, and “password” into
the password field.
– Now select the’setup wizard’ and then select ‘next’ when asked if you want Netgear to detect your
Internet connection. By clicking on next Netgear will take a few minutes to detect your Internet
connection, and display the appropriate configuration page based on your network type.
– When Netgear has detected the settings apply them so that Netgear can complete setup or
configuration. If the user is using the PPPoE or PPPoA connection type, enter the login and password
proved by internet service provider. If using the dynamic IP address click on ‘apply’.
– Enter your IP address, IP subnet mask, primary DNS, and secondary DNS if using an IP over ATM or
fixed IP connection type. This information must be supplied to you by your ISP.When entered the
required credentials based on internet connection type, Netgear router will setup/configured for use with
internet service provider(ISP).
5. Troubleshooting Netgear router setup or Netgear router configuration
to troubleshoot the Netgear router setup or Netgear configuration try to download the latest firmware for
Netgear router from http://support.netgear.com/ if configuration fails to work. In some cases, outdated
firmware can prevent you from being able to establish an Internet connection.
– If you are still facing the problem connecting to internet after Netgear setup, you need to reset your
Netgear router which will reset the Netgear router on factory reset settings which will automatically
resolve the software related issues associated with the Netgear router.
-Try using different ethernet cables or telephone wires as needed if you’re having difficulty configuring
your router or connecting to the Internet. Faulty cables and hardware can prevent you from being able to
effectively set up your router.
-Contact your ISP for further assistance if you are still unable to configure your Netgear router using the
login credentials supplied by your ISP. Netgear does not have access to login credentials supplied by
your ISP, and will not be able to assist you with connecting to the Internet.
Still if once the Netgear router is setup or configured and previously you were able to browse websites
and now you are facing connection related problems with your Netgear router and now no longer able to
browse which includes following symptoms:
– Unable to access websites
-Internet LED symbol of the NETGEAR router is amber.
-No internet access on all devices.
· To solve connection related problems, you need to follow the below mentioned steps:
# 1. measure to solve the connection related issue is Check the connection of your devices. Ensure that
each connection is securely and tightly plugged in.
#2. Still, the facing the issue then Try to refresh your cable connection by power cycling your network. It
will help in Netgear setup in which you need to shut down all your networking devices turn on the
Cable/DSL modem first and let it boot up. This will take a couple of minutes while the modem is syncing
with your ISP to establish a connection. In most cases all the LED lights will remain stable, however,
always refer to the user manual of the modem to verify the status of the LED lights.
Once the Cable/DSL modem completes the connection to your ISP, turn on the Wired/Wireless router.
The router will now establish a connection with the Cable/DSL modem. This process will take a few
minutes as well. In most cases, the Internet LED light on the router will turn solid green, however, please
refer to the user manual of the router to verify the status of the LED lights.
Turn ON your wired & wireless devices.
#3. If the above-mentioned step does not resolve the issue then download the latest firmware of your router at
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com. After you have the downloaded the firmware, please see Upgrading
your Router’s Firmware Manually
#4. If the above steps did not resolve your issue, you may need to reset your router. For instructions see
Restoring a NETGEAR Router to Factory Default Settings. To perform the factory reset:
On the back of your router, locate the Restore Factory Settings or Reset button.
Using a paper clip or similar object, press and hold the Restore Factory Settings or Reset button for
about seven seconds.
Release the Restore Factory Settings or Reset button and wait for your router to reboot.
After your router is finished with the factory reset, the Power light stops blinking and lights solid green.
Note: The Power light on newer router models lights solid white.
The factory default settings are restored.
Here are some other relevant links, you might find interesting: